Khalsa College Amritsar
Khalsa College is a historic educational institution in the northern Indian city of Amritsar in the state of Punjab, India. Founded in 1892, the sprawling 300-acre (1.2 km2) campus is located about eight km outside of the city center on the Amritsar-Lahore highway (part of the Grand Trunk Road), adjoining Guru Nanak Dev University campus, to which Khalsa College is academically affiliated. Khalsa College was the Palace of Maharaja Ranjit Singh. Later the palace was rebuilt into College.
History of Khalsa College Amritsar
Khalsa College Establishment Committee was set up in 1890 with Colonel W. R. M. Holroyd, Director of Public Instruction, Punjab, as president, and W. Bell, Principal of Government College, Lahore, as secretary. Among the native constituents of this 121-member committee were Sir Attar Singh, Gurdial Singh Maan of Nabha, Diwan Gurmukh Singh of Patiala, Bhai Kahn Singh, Professor Gurmukh Singh and Sardar Jawahir Singh (1859–1910). Many princely states of British India gave their financial help to the establishment of Khalsa College, including Maharaja Rajendra Singh of Patiala, Maharaja Hira Singh of Nabha, Maharaja Jagatjit Singh of Kapurthala and Sir Sunder Singh Majithia.
After a prolonged discussion about the site of Khalsa College, it was decided that one college would be established in Amritsar, followed by a second in Lahore. The 300-acre (1.2 km2) campus was sited just outside the village of Kot Sayyad Mehmood, which was later renamed Kot Khalsa.
To usher-in an era of Engineering and Technology, the Khalsa College Society in 2009, started the most sought-after Institution, Khalsa College of Engg. & Technology (KCET), to realize the educational requirements of the society / area and also to impart quality education (Affiliated to PTU)
Khalsa College Faculties
Khalsa College is a composite institution with six wings consisting of the faculties of Agriculture, Commerce & Business Administration, Computer Science, Humanities and Social Sciences, Natural Science and Physiotherapy. The campus also houses Khalsa College of Education, Khalsa College for Women, Khalsa College Girls High School, Khalsa College Boys Senior Secondary School and Khalsa College Public School. Spacious in dimension, the main college building is masterpiece of architecture-a blend of Mughal, Rajput and Sikh Styles. The college campus covers an area of over 330 acres and provides latest amenities of higher education. It is flanked by Chemistry, Computer and Physics blocks on western side and Library, Sikh History,Postgraduate, Biotechnology and Canteen blocks in the eastern side.
Sikh History & Research Department
Sikh History & Research Department, that came into being in 1930 contains a reference library and a gallery of thousands of manuscripts, rare books, portraits and paintings of great historical significance and value. Our hostels-namely Nabha, Faridkot, Hargobind, Jind and Mata Sahib Kaur Girls Hostel can provide accommodation to 560 resident students. The campus also has within its premises a Gurudwara, a Gymnasium, a Nursery, a Fruit Farm, a Criket-Stadium, well maintained playing fields, a fully computerized library, GuidanceCell, Career Counselling Cell and spacious Student's Centre.